6/20/2010 – A productive day

We both had a pretty productive day yesterday. I got the engine room storage unit hung, a new power wire run to my SSB radio, and the wires run from both solar panels, through watertight fittings in the bulwarks and down into the engine room. Final wiring to the charge controller and the batteries to follow.

Lulu, enjoying the nice day, took down all of the teak slats in the ceiling on her side of the v-berth. Translation for landlubbers: The “ceiling” in a boat is what covers the inside of the hull. In a house it would be the interior wall covering (most likely sheetrock). This is not that weird as the first definition in Webster’s College Dictionary for “ceil” is “to furnish (as a wooden ship) with a lining”. Anyway, the ceiling in the v-berth (our bedroom) is made up of one and three quarter inch wide teak slats running horizontally or parallel with the waterline. Lulu took the ones on her side down and washed the fiberglass hull behind them. The fiberglass didn’t look to bad and it cleaned up really nicely considering this may be the first time in 34 years that it’s been done.

The slats that she didn’t remove were because the bookcase complicated things. However, she was still able to wash behind them since they stand proud of the hull about an inch. Then she took all these slats out on the dock and lightly sanded them and applied a coating of teak oil that’s been laced with a fungicide to protect against mildew growth. We ran out of time before she could put them back up and besides, we figured it’d be better to let them cure overnight. Today she hung the slats back up and then took the ceiling down on my side and washed the inside of the hull. However, the weather was drizzly all day so she couldn’t sand and oil them yet. So we’ll just have to live around them for a few days.

Remember a couple days ago when I wrote about the lack of space on the boat and how everything had to be moved to do anything. Well, this job was a perfect example. While Lulu was busy working on the v-berth, this is what the saloon looked like:

Everything has got to be somewhere.

And, if productivity and good weather wasn’t enough yesterday, our friends Jay & Judy from s/v Wind Raven brought us two huge hunks of fresh-caught halibut which we had for dinner. All in all, a fine day.


About sryoder

Steve & Lulu... retired. Had enough of the cold wet dreary fall/winter/spring in the Pacific Northwest. Bought a boat, fixed it up, sold our home and sailed to Mexico in November, 2010. Been here ever since except for occasional forays to the States (summer only, thank you) to visit the kids, parents and siblings. If you're looking for a sailing blog, this is the wrong place. This is a traveling, hunkering in, eating blog. Sailing is just how we get from place to place when we can't walk.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s