5/6/2011 – Last Day in San Evaristo (probably)

Last night, I decided to spotlight the fish off the side of the boat again. Didn’t see any of the anemone-looking things but saw a buttload of fish. The first time I turned the spotlight on, it was almost scary. There were literally thousands of fish (okay, maybe only hundreds) hanging around the boat. The light scared them away immediately but they came back in 10-15 minutes. I tried getting a shot with the flash but it didn’t come out. So I tried taking one at the moment the spotlight came on and I managed to get one that sort of shows how many fish I’m talking about.

(okay, it’s not a great picture….)

This morning it was very quiet and calm here in San Evaristo. I fired up the watermaker about 7:00 AM and ran it for 4 hours (about 24 gallons). Didn’t do the battery bank any favors since I didn’t give them a chance to recover from last night before I started draining them again. Oh well, we’ll probably be motoring to our next stop tomorrow so the engine-driven alternator can help the solar panels out.

While Lulu was doing some laundry, I rowed over to the palapa to see about getting some more beer for the road. I explained (en espanol, naturalamente) that we were leaving tomorrow and wanted to buy some more beer. I told her that I assumed she needed to keep some beer on hand for the people who live here but asked if she could sell me 6 8-packs (2 cases). She said it wouldn’t be a problem. I also asked if there was a place I could dispose of my garbage. She directed me to the “dump” which is just a flat area where, when there’s enough stuff, someone puts a match to it and burns it all up.

After I got back to the boat Lulu and I loaded up a little more garbage and some snacks and water and shoes/socks in a backpack and headed back ashore. Once our feet were dry, we donned the shoes and socks and walked back to the dump. From there we followed the dirt road behind some houses, in front of others, past the primary school, and up over the hill to the salt drying beds on the other side. It’s a little oasis over there with actual shade trees. Looks like there are maybe 3 or 4 households.

And lots of donkeys.

On our way back to the dinghy we stopped at the tienda for a few supplies (salsa, tostada shells, avocadoes, snd eggs). Then we thought we’d stop at the palapa for a cold ballena of cerveza. Unfortunately, she didn’t have any cold cerveza. Crappage! Not exactly sure what the power situation is here. The little desalination plant has a generator that runs when they’re making water. Haven’t really heard any other generators, although I might not hear small ones, and haven’t seen any solar panels except at the school. However, I do see electric lights ashore at night. Not many, but some.

Lulu decided to make beans and rice for dinner tonight. While she was doing that she realized we’d forgotten to get a couple items at the tienda. So I rowed back over. Of course, I forgot my shoes. The only down side of that was that the sand was HOT. My feet are getting tougher, though.

Tomorrow the plan is to head out late morning for Mangle Solo on Isla San Jose. The big attraction is the Cardon cactus forest. That and it’s only 7 nautical miles away.


About sryoder

Steve & Lulu... retired. Had enough of the cold wet dreary fall/winter/spring in the Pacific Northwest. Bought a boat, fixed it up, sold our home and sailed to Mexico in November, 2010. Been here ever since except for occasional forays to the States (summer only, thank you) to visit the kids, parents and siblings. If you're looking for a sailing blog, this is the wrong place. This is a traveling, hunkering in, eating blog. Sailing is just how we get from place to place when we can't walk.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s