Starting to get kind of excited about getting underway again. In less than a week we’ll be back in full sailing mode: conserve power, conserve water, no internet, eat what’s onboard, etc. In preparation, I thought it’d be a good idea to send out a test blog via HF e-mail, just like I’ll be doing while we’re underway and also when anchored in remote spots in the Sea of Cortez. Remember, if the blog says it was posted by Sailmail, we won’t be able to read your comments until we get somewhere with internet access. But don’t let that keep you from commenting.
You may notice that there’s a new feature on the right-hand side of this blog, right above the “Search” window. It’s called “Where in the world are we?” By clicking on the word “HERE”, you’ll be magically transported to a page that tracks where we are. There haven’t been any updates for awhile but I just finished sending out a position report so it should show up soon. If I didn’t screw it up, it should show us located in Mazatlan. Once we get underway, I’ll send an update every 24 hours whenever possible. Don’t freak if I miss one. I may just not be having any luck getting a signal.
We’re ticking off items on our “preparation for getting underway” to-do lists. Doing what I’m doing right now was one of the items on Saturday’s list but, since I had time today, I figured I’d get it out of the way. Tomorrow is “work in the engine compartment” day: check vital fluids, check raw water pump impeller, install Speed-Seal on raw water pump, check heat exchanger zinc, clean old pieces of zinc out of heat exchanger, add water to all batteries, and run the engine for awhile. We’re really pretty well caught up on stuff. We’re planning on a Sunday morning departure so we’ll need to make a Saturday produce run and laundry run and top off all our water receptacles (main tank, solar shower, emergency 5-gal. jug). We’ll stock up on drinks Thursday or Friday.
So far, the weather looks pretty good for a Sunday morning departure. Of course, no one can really accurately predict weather that far out but it looks good anyway. The wind has been light in the mornings and getting up into the teens in the afternoons. Perfect. Wind direction has been primarily out of the WNW. Not so perfect as that’s close to the direction we want to go. But, if necessary, we’ll head more north before turning to the west and hit Baja a little north of where we originally planned. Like maybe San Evaristo instead of Espiritu Santo. Doesn’t really matter too much to us. The wave heights are predicted to be in the 5-6 foot range on Sunday but then should start to drop a bit. Trouble is, they’re coming from the SW which, if we headed NW as we want to, would put them right on our beam making for an uncomfortably rolly ride. But, by heading more north, we should get them on the aft port quarter. Not nearly as bad.
Got an e-mail from our friends Greg and Joyce on the Westsail 32 “Otter”. They left Mazatlan a couple weeks ago for La Paz. They ran into contrary enough conditions that it took them 42 hours to reach Bahia de Los Muertos, a distance of about 200 nautical miles. Part of the delay was that they had not originally planned to go to Muertos, but conditions required a change of plans enroute. We’re hoping to have a little better luck although there’s absolutely no reason that we should.
Anyway, we’re getting jazzed to leave. It might be a fairly long crossing for us as we really do plan to sail if at all possible. But, we’ll try to keep you apprised of our progress along the way.
I’m cooking dinner again tonight and it’s going to be Mushrooms on Toast with a poached egg on top. Another SeriousEats.com recipe.
OK. time to fire up the SSB radio and send this little e-pistle out there.