As I look out of the hatch this morning, I’m reminded why we love Baja so much. The air is so clear and the sky is so blue. The rugged mountains in the background are crystal clear. The water is clean and turquoise-colored. It’s so good to be back.
I slept for almost 10 hours last night and Lulu beat my by an hour. We both woke up feeling refreshed. Going to be an excellent day.
We got most of our chores taken care of yesterday. Transferred 20 gallons of diesel from the jerry jugs to the tank, re-ran some lines from the windvane that had gotten screwed up somehow, and did a few other on deck jobs. Lulu made sense of the mayhem down below and assessed the extent of water encroachment. The mayhem was actually not bad due to her excellent packing. And her packing got a good workout coming over from Mazatlan since we spent a lot of time on each tack, heeled over up to 20 degrees for hours on end. Today, I have to change the fuel filter and plug a couple of possible leak points as well as decide how I want to plug the in-use anchor chain hawse pipe. Lulu’s going to change drinking water filters and do a little more straightening up. Says she might also sit out in the sun for awhile since it’s so warm and so sunny.
We should try to get to bed early tonight since we plan to rise at 4 AM to weigh anchor and set our course for La Paz. Our destination is about 60 nautical miles from here so, at 4 knots, it should take us 15 hours. If we get underway by 0430, a distinct possibility, we would arrive in La Paz about 1930 which is pretty darn close to sundown. I’ve sailed through the La Paz channel at that time before and didn’t like it. Just too damn hard to see. So, we’ll probably stop at one of the anchorages on the west side of the peninsula, either Puerto Balandra (45 NM, 11 hours), Caleta Lobos (46 NM, 11.5 hours), or Bahia Falsa (~52 NM, 13 hours). Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what things look like when we get to each spot. Then, we can get up at a leisurely hour (our favorite kind of hour), and tool on into La Paz on Friday morning. Guess I’d better check my tides program to try to get a favorable tide for the long trip down the La Paz channel. Going in on an outgoing tide can REALLY slow you down.
Five of the boats that were anchored here yesterday were gone when I got up this morning. An early morning departure from Los Muertos seems to be standard operating procedure. Might be partly to try to make La Paz in a single day and partly to take advantage of the normally calm conditions early in the morning. At the southern end of the Cerralvo channel lies a place called La Ventana. I’m told that the hardcore wind surfers and kite boarders spend the summer at Hood River Oregon and the winters at La Ventana. I’m also told it’s a good place for beginners since, if things go to hell and you get separated from your board, no problem as the prevailing winds will blow it up onto the north-facing beach. That means that the winds that draw the boarders will be right on our nose heading up the channel. And, if an early start will get us a few miles before the winds kick in, then early start it is.
Yesterday I got a wifi signal here and was able to download some e-mail. So far today, I’ve gotten the signal but can’t seem to make an internet connection. The wifi server must be disconnected from the internet at the moment. I’ll try again later but for now I’ll just use my trusty HF radio.
No position update today as we haven’t moved since the last one.