Can’t convince us that Friday the 13th is unlucky. After a very pleasant 6-hour trip, we are currently anchored in one of our favorite places in the Sea (or anywhere else, so far), Ensenada Grande on Isla Partida.
We certainly didn’t get an early start today. By the time we’d gotten up, perused the internet, had breakfast, run garbage to shore and brought back a couple of jerry cans of water, got the stuff down below squared away and secured and got the stuff on deck secured as well, it was 11:00 when we finally raised the anchor and got underway. That gave us about 30 minutes of favorable tide and then an hour or so (we hoped) of slack before the current in the La Paz channel turned against us. It was hot and sunny and there was little to no wind as we motored up the channel.
I’m now convinced, more than ever, that we’re not just a couple of pansies who hardly ever sail while everyone else is eschewing the very idea of using their diesel engines. I just happen to blog about motoring and they don’t. I saw at least a dozen other sailboats out there today. Two had just their mainsail hoisted (which means they’re motoring) and the rest, like us, were just motoring along bald-headed. What else are you going to do when there is no wind or the wind is on your nose? As of now, I’m not going to sound apologetic about motoring any more. The boat has sails, the boat has a motor, They both work to get the boat from point A to point B. Use what you’ve got.
It was an idyllic motorboat ride up here today. Twenty seven nautical miles of flat seas, bright sunshine, hot weather and no wind. We lounged and read and exposed white skin to the sun’s rays. We arrived at Ensenada Grande just when the GPS predicted, about 5:00 PM. Ran the watermaker for 3 hours and had a full tank which means that my estimate of daily water use (6 gallons per day, total) was a bit on the high side. The solar panels pumped amps into the batteries which is good since it doesn’t seem like the alternator is doing much of anything. Have to check into that.
Started figuring out our trip. We have about 6 weeks to go about 525 miles. That shouldn’t be too tough but we need to build some cushion wherever we can. So we’ve decided to just push through until we reach Puerto Escondido if the weather allows, just staying overnight in each anchorage. Tomorrow’s goal is to get to San Evaristo. However, if the weather permits, we might do a reverse of our trip back to La Paz last fall. That would mean an overnight trip from Ensenada Grande all the way to either Ensenada Blanca or Puerto Escndido tomorrow. I’m going to check the weather when I post this to get an idea.
So, until tomorrow, that’s where things stand: firmly up in the air. But at least we escaped La Paz and are on our way. We already feel the shift to “island mode”. Water’s cleaner and bluer, swimming suits are the uniform of the day, and we spot lots of dolphins and rays. Ahhhh…..