6/18/2012 – How sweet it is

We left Puerto Penasco yesterday (Sunday) at about 11:00 AM. In a way it was hard to leave as we’d met so many really great folks during our relatively short stay. However, in another way, we were ready. Happy to say goodbye to the incredibly noisy marina where, through no fault of the marina other than proximity, every evening we had to listen to a selection of loud, bass-thumping disco music coming from any one of the 3 sunset cruise boats that surrounded us. Sometimes all three would play at once. Different songs of course. The really sad part is now I have some of those songs stuck in my head since they played the same ones every night and they were also being played at the Super Ley supermarket and even at the little “Michigan” convenience store. SAME SONGS!!! We’d like to give a shout out to Oscar from Del Mar Charters and their catamaran, Tempo. Not only did he never crank up the tunes but he is a really nice guy, too. Thank you, Oscar. You da dude. We also weren’t sad to say goodbye to the “hot” waters of PP which were taking a toll on our sacrificial zincs. Finally, we weren’t at all sorry to say goodbye to the gritty coating of sandy dust that covered every surface following each bout of south winds. We were sorry to say goodbye to those nice showers at the marina, though.

Not much wind leaving port but, after an hour or two it filled in enough to unfurl the headsails. The main was already up. The wind built and I cut the engine. We proceeded to make really good progress for almost 6 hours before the wind died. But during that 6 hours, we were averaging an easy 4 knots and seeing speeds up to 5.5 knots. The wind was only blowing about 7-10 knots so we were only heeled over about 10 degrees. We were sailing a close reach and then close-hauled. However, we were also getting a nice push from the outgoing tide. It was really nice sailing along, hour after hour with no engine noise and no diesel being used. The wind direction was steady enough that we hardly had to make any adjustments to the sails during the whole 6 hour run. And, we saved 3 gallons of diesel. However, around sunset, the wind dropped off to nothing so we rolled up the headsails, centered the main and fired up the engine.

We chugged on through the night on flat seas. Never saw any wind again until about an hour before we entered Puerto Refugio. It piped up enough to give us a sweet burst of speed but, alas, it was a few hours too late to do us much good.

We pulled into Puerto Refugio on the northern end of Isla Angel de La Guarda (Guardian Angel Island) around 1345. Check the position report to see where we are. Anchor was down and set and engine was off by 1400. We looked around and found ourselves all by our lonesomes. After taking care of a few post-anchoring items, we hung the boarding ladder over the side and jumped in to cool off. Ahhhhhhh….. The water was coolish but felt really good. I swam down to check out our prop shaft zinc. It’s still there but there isn’t a hell of a lot of it left. We should be good now until we get hauled out in Guaymas where we can change it out. I was glad to see that there was still at least some zinc left. After our cool-down swim, we both washed our hair and then climbed back aboard to finish showering on deck with the solar shower. No one around, so no need for modesty. Made things much easier.

Our next leg was going to be to Puerto Don Juan on the Baja Peninsula. However, we could go to an anchorage at Isla Estanque on the south end of Angel de La Guarda instead. Same distance as PDJ and it makes the next leg to Isla Partida much shorter. We’re leaning towards Estanque. We’ve already been to PDJ a couple times this summer so someplace new might be nice.

Lulu’s making pizza for dinner tonight. We still have some salami in the fridge plus I made some breakfast sausage that goes nicely on a pizza. Besides, every time someone even rubs up against that basil bush of Lulu’s, the smell just wafts out and now, fresh basil smells like pizza to me.

We’re experiencing a few bees here at Puerto Refugio. Not an incredible number so far, but a few. I don’t really think they’re necessarily after fresh water as we rinsed off with fresh water on the foredeck but the bees don’t seem to be interested in anything except the cockpit right now. Probably because it’s shady.

Anyway, we are so glad to be on the move and in the island groove again. City and marina life is great for awhile but eventually it does wear thin.

We’ll be away from the internet for the next 2 weeks. I’ll post blogs via the HF radio but will not be able to see your comments until we reach San Carlos/Guaymas.


About sryoder

Steve & Lulu... retired. Had enough of the cold wet dreary fall/winter/spring in the Pacific Northwest. Bought a boat, fixed it up, sold our home and sailed to Mexico in November, 2010. Been here ever since except for occasional forays to the States (summer only, thank you) to visit the kids, parents and siblings. If you're looking for a sailing blog, this is the wrong place. This is a traveling, hunkering in, eating blog. Sailing is just how we get from place to place when we can't walk.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to 6/18/2012 – How sweet it is

  1. MWhite:LittleCunningPlan says:

    When you hear disco songs, you’re supposed to channel your inner John Travolta. It just takes a little practice!

    • sryoder says:

      But even John Travolta couldn’t dance to three different tunes all at the same time. Also besides the dance floor on SS being a wee bit small, I’m lost w/o my white suit and disco ball.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s