I’m sure that spelling isn’t right and I doubt that the pronunciation is right, but that’s how I hear the expletive my Dad uses when he doesn’t want to say “Goddamn, sonofabitch, c*cksucking whore!” My dad’s parents were raised Amish. At the ripe old age of 18, when Amish kids get to decide whether to continue in the faith or opt out, they opted out. I assume it was totally their decision but I don’t know that for sure. I vaguely remember some stories in which my Grandpa packed heat and there might have been something about running a team of horses a bit too hard, but those are just vague memories from childhood. But, the point is, Dad grew up speaking Pennsylvania Dutch, or maybe German, at home when he was a kid. The title of this blog is, I believe, German or Dutch for “Goddamn the weather!” However, as used by my Dad, and presumably his Dad, it’s utterance had little to do with the weather. It’s just something you say when you’re pissed off royal. And I’m pissed off royal!!
I’ve spent the last 2 work days trying to remove the cutless bearing from Siempre Sabado. Every account I’ve read, I said EVERY ACCOUNT I’VE READ, either on the web or in various manuals says the same thing:
Using a hacksaw or Sawzall, cut the bearing along its length in two or three pieces. Then, pry the bearing away from the walls of the shaft log. It will basically collapse on itself and be easily removable.
Our first sailboat had a Sabb engine. The Sabb was supposedly able to be started by hand cranking. The instructions were very clear: Set the throttle to full, open the decompression valve, using the hand crank, crank the engine until it’s spinning rapidly, close the decompression valve, engine starts. Engine starts? Yeah, right. On only 2 occasions when we tried this did the engine start. The other hundreds of times ended in failure. Ever since, Lulu and I use “engine starts” as a code phrase for something that is supposed to happen but doesn’t. The cutless bearing will basically collapse on itself and be easily removable? Sure, and engine starts.
I did exactly as the instructions said. Hell, I went so far as to cut the bearing in to three and then four pieces. I’d pry and I’d pry. I could get the first inch or so to come away from the shaft log walls but then I’d lose my prying advantage as the screwdriver was forced deeper and deeper into the tube. I broke the tips off two screwdrivers in the process. I used the setscrew holes to make a bolt push the damn thing away from the walls and it worked like a charm. But did the rest of the piece ever give up the grip? NO!
A friend loaned me a slide hammer but I couldn’t get the hooks to stay on the end of the bearing. Jesús, the yard manager stopped by to let me know I needed to cut the bearing in two and then it would just collapse on itself. Thanks, Jesús! Maybe if the freakin’ thing was made of foil instead of thick bronze. The guy on the boat next to us stopped by to offer me the loan of his scroll saw because “you have to cut the bearing into two or three pieces and then it’ll just collapse on itself”. ARGHHHHH!
I finally made a little headway when I found a piece of hardwood aboard that would fit in the shaft log from the inside of the engine compartment. I slipped it in and beat on the end with a heavy hammer and actually forced the bearing about 1/2″ out before the stick was pulverized. I tried a piece of pipe but the only piece I had on board was 1/2″ ID so the OD was about 3/4″. It was really hard to keep it on the edge of the bearing. I’d get maybe one good lick and then it would slip off. I was actually making some headway but it was very slow going. Finally, after 5 hours of working on this today, this is where I’m at:
Does that look like it’s collapsing on itself? NO! Does it look like I’m boogering up the inside of the flange? YES! But wait, obviously there’s less than 1/2 ” sticking out the end of the flange. So where’s the rest? Well, after grabbing and twisting with some Vise-grips so I could extricate the individual pieces of the bearing, the pieces that I grabbed on to ended up on the deck like so much garbage.
After 5 hours of this I’d had it. I decided it was time to clean up, take a shower, and head off to town to find a couple of pieces of pipe for driving the damn thing out from the inside. I took the bus to the Costruama store, confident that I’d easily find exactly what I wanted. Not so much! The idea of a 24″ piece of 1″ steel or iron pipe and also a 24″ piece of 3/4″ was as foreign to them as my accent. They brought me out a couple of 10″ pieces of each but that was all they had. Really? Discouraged, I walked in the hot sun to another ferreteria which advertised “plomeria y electricidad”. Another strike out. But he directed me to La Luna which was supposedly another ferreteria down around the next corner. I headed there. Turned the corner and started walking down a long avenue. I must have walked close to a mile without seeing anything named La Luna or any ferreterias. I turned around and headed back. On the way back I saw a place that sells Rotoplas water tanks and filters as well as faucets, etc. I tried there but all they sold was plastic pipe. The nice lady there directed me to the Ferreteria Industrial but it was way too far away to go to today with the mood I was in.
So I say again, “GOTTSVELLUHMUHALLAH! And I’m not talking about the weather.