10/27/2012 – It’s Aliiiiiive!

Don’t know why I should be surprised.  After all, all we did was remove the engine, leave it sitting on the ground (tarped of course) for over a month, change all the cooling system hoses, and paint it.  So why shouldn’t it start right up once reinstalled?  No good reason but still, sometimes when you mess with stuff they just never work quite right again.  Or so it seems.

While Lulu was back aboard Chamisa making baggywrinkle, I was hooking up all the wires and hoses and making sure all the nuts and bolts on the engine were tight.  Then I hooked a garden hose between a faucet provided by the yard and the raw cooling water intake.  Turned the key, and….  GEEZ! did the fuel pump always rattle like that?  I don’t remember it doing that before.  Well, maybe once it actually picks up some fuel it’ll settle down.  But it should have picked up fuel by now shouldn’t it?  Well, yeah, if I’d remembered to connect the line from the fuel tank.  Okay, so I forget one little thing.  Once the fuel line was connected, the pump sounded much better.  Doesn’t mean the engine started, though.  The Westerbeke is supposed to be self-bleeding so I shouldn’t have to go through the ritual of loosening fuel connections and leaving them loose until the air bubbles stop before reconnecting and moving on to the next connection.  Trouble is, it takes quite awhile for the system to bleed itself when it’s been left completely empty.  But fortunately, it eventually did bleed itself and straight fuel finally reached the injectors and then, yes, the engine started.  Ran rough for about 2 seconds and then settled down to a nice smooth purr.  Well, diesels don’t exactly purr but you know what I mean.

My plan was to run the engine long enough to heat the oil up so I could change it.  But I caught a glimpse of the garden hose and that changed my mind.  Seems that my sweet little raw water pump was sucking water in faster than the hose spigot could supply it, resulting in a collapsed hose as the pump pulled a suction.  Decided it would probably be wise to shut her down.  I’ll change the oil after we’re back in the water and I can let the engine run long enough to adequately warm up the oil.

Tomorrow I have to chase down a couple gallons of antifreeze and, hopefully, the yard will get busy sanding our hull so we can paint the bottom and get the heck out of the yard.    The end is in sight.


About sryoder

Steve & Lulu... retired. Had enough of the cold wet dreary fall/winter/spring in the Pacific Northwest. Bought a boat, fixed it up, sold our home and sailed to Mexico in November, 2010. Been here ever since except for occasional forays to the States (summer only, thank you) to visit the kids, parents and siblings. If you're looking for a sailing blog, this is the wrong place. This is a traveling, hunkering in, eating blog. Sailing is just how we get from place to place when we can't walk.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s