12/16/2012 – Just waiting on a weather window

It’s in the mid-70s and crystal clear this morning.   Well, it’s afternoon now but it was like that this morning too.  Yesterday might have been an OK day to cross but it did get kind of windy in the late afternoon and then rained early this morning.  Then, today looked OK and, if you only check PassageWeather, it looked like it would definitely be light and variable winds this morning, this afternoon and at least part of tomorrow.  PassageWeather has their wind graphic and, right below that, they have a barometric pressure graphic.  Now, I don’t know much about meteorology but I’m pretty sure that the more compressed together the isobars are, the stronger the wind should be blowing from the high pressure zone to the low pressure zone.  But, But the weird thing about PassageWeather is that it seems like the two often don’t correlate very well.  They’ll show 5 knot winds in an area that is downright striped with isobars.  I don’t get it.  Of course, checking back with PassageWeather a few minutes ago to try to get a damning screenshot, I see their wind predictions are following the isobars better, so maybe it’s just me.  But, at any rate, I also checked BuoyWeather which showed “Light winds with a slight chop” this morning, followed by “Breezy whitecapping conditions” this afternoon and all day tomorrow.  Then a light wind day on Tuesday followed by a couple days of small craft advisories.  Checked Sailflow and they pretty much backed up BuoyWeather’s prediction.  And, when I checked PassageWeather a few minutes ago, I see that their updated prediction is much closer to BuoyWeather and Saiflow than it had been earlier today.  So, here we still sit.  We are determined NOT to get impatient and head out in conditions that would make for an uncomfortable ride across.  We hope we’ve learned our lesson on that one.  In the meantime, San Carlos is quite a nice place to be now that the really hot weather has passed.  We don’t even mind wearing long pants and long-sleeve t-shirts and the occasional flannel shirt.  And it’s great weather for cooking.  Last night I made what was called “white chili” but, as far as I’m concerned was chicken stew with white beans.  “White chili!”  I’m so sure.  What’ll they try to sell me next, white chocolate???

Advertisements

About sryoder

Steve & Lulu... retired. Had enough of the cold wet dreary fall/winter/spring in the Pacific Northwest. Bought a boat, fixed it up, sold our home and sailed to Mexico in November, 2010. Been here ever since except for occasional forays to the States (summer only, thank you) to visit the kids, parents and siblings. If you're looking for a sailing blog, this is the wrong place. This is a traveling, hunkering in, eating blog. Sailing is just how we get from place to place when we can't walk.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 12/16/2012 – Just waiting on a weather window

  1. Are you guys crossing over to Santa Rosalia? We’re still sitting in Bahia Concepcion (Playa Santispak) and waiting for a weather window to head south, hopefully Sat or Sun. We should be crossing paths soon and can’t wait to see you guys!

    • sryoder says:

      Yes, Santa Rosalia is our first destination. We’re also waiting for a window. We almost think we’re going to get one and then it slams shut. Or we think it’s going to slam shut and, by the time we know better, it’s too late. We’ll catch up with you somewhere along the line.

  2. Dani says:

    I know what you mean about waiting for good weather. Too many times have Tate and I tried to force it..only to be sick as a dog and having to trudge through or turn around. Here’s to good weather!

    • sryoder says:

      And trying to figure out a good window using weather predictions is so tough. Like, for instance, today looks like it would have been an excellent day to go. But we didn’t know that until today was over because the day didn’t turn out quite like the predictions predicted. ARGHH!

  3. Scott Wedge says:

    Steve,

    Many times I have delayed a flight, waiting for better weather. The longest was in Newport, Oregon. I had flown up to visit Keiko the Whale with my sister and her kids, back before they tried to “release” him into the wild. Anyway, it was foggy for a couple of days, so I just hung around the little harbor/tourist trap. It was fun, but fog was not as nice a climate as you’ve been waiting in.

    The nice part about waiting for flying weather is that flights are only a few hours long, and forecasts are reasonably accurate for that time frame. You have a far longer planning horizon, which makes forecast far less reliable. I also imagine that a nice breeze would be good, except that it would soon whip up waves, which are not so nice. Good thing you’ve got a motor…

    Speaking of which, what was the root cause of the glow plug problem? I gather there was more than excess impatience

    Wishing you guys calm seas for the holidays!

    Scott

    • sryoder says:

      The glow plug problem was traced to an apparently broken wire between the solenoid and the plug. No idea where the break is as the wire is buried inside a wiring harness. Just ran a new wire and also installed a new solenoid.

      Our current definition of a “good weather window” would be a solid prediction (like no more than 3-4 days out) of two days in a row with winds in the 5-10 knot range. We only need 15-20 hours to get across but we need them during the right time. In order to not arrive at Santa Roslaia in the dark, we need to leave San Carlos about 5 PM.

  4. Chuck says:

    Are you still waiting? Geez 5 knot range???? l guess that means motorboating again. Wishing you both a Merry Xmas and for a few days of calm.

    Chuck & Linda
    Jacaranda
    Puerto Angel, Mx

    • sryoder says:

      Yep, still waiting. Actually, 10-15 knots would be better but we just don’t want to “enjoy” the swells that are always left over after the 20-25 knot winds that precede these ridiculously short windows. Swells that we will no doubt be taking pretty much on the beam since we’re going straight across. Haven’t checked the weather yet today but, as of yesterday morning, Wednesday was looking pretty good, as was Thursday. And then, on Friday, sure enough, the wind honks back up again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s