3/9/2013 – Time for a Heinz 57 post

Heinz 57?  You know,  Heinz 57 ketchup.  Ketchup, get it?  Ketchup, catch up?  C’mon, people, work with me here.

Anyway, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted and a few things have transpired and a few photos have been taken.  So bear with me if this post doesn’t seem to follow any discernible path.  It’ll be more or less chronological as that’s the way my photos are filed.

But first!  Big news!  We came back up to Santa Rosalía last Tuesday to check on our immigration paperwork.  We had applied to have our expiring FM3s converted to Residente Temporal back in late January.  After submitting our paperwork and paying all the fees, they told us to return in 3-4 weeks to pick up our cards.  We spent the intervening time at Playa Santispac in Bahía Concepción rather than hanging around Marina Santa Rosalía.  Well, the 4 weeks would have been up on February 27.  As soon as the screaming norther died down, we sailed back to Santa Rosalía, arriving on March 6th.  The next day, the 7th, exactly 5 weeks after our last visit to the INM office, we went there again.  Expecting the worst since, we’d been hearing horror stories via the cruisers’ telegraph about months-long delays in getting the paperwork done, we were overjoyed to find that our cards were ready.  The new cards are like credit cards or drivers’ licenses rather than laminated like the old cards were.  And, they’re green.  So we now officially have our green cards!  We celebrated by going out to dinner at El Muelle restaurant with John and Mitsy (s/v L’Ange 1).  The food (camarones al mojo de ajo for Lulu, the combinación mar y mar with fish filets, scallops and shrimp, all cooked al mojo de ajo, for me) was excellent although a wee tad on the pricey side, at least for us.  But, what the hey, we were celebrating.

Speaking of food,  I think I wrote about the excellent fish we had at the little fish restaurant at Santispac.  But, I definitely didn’t have any photos at the time.  So, for your salivating enjoyment, here’s what we had to eat:


This was my garlic fish. All that stuff on top of the fish filets? Garlic! So good and smelled so good while they were cooking it, too.

fish tacos.jpg

Lulu had fish tacos. Equally as good.

Although I wrote about being stuck on the boat at Santispac during the howling norther, it wasn’t really that bad a place to be. Here’s a photo of the beach during quieter times and also a photo of the saltwater lagoon at the west end of the beach.


saltwater lagoon.jpg

siempre sabado at santispac.jpg

After the winds had finally died down, Lulu decided to get a little practice in rowing Babalooie around.

Looie and Babalooie.jpg

And speaking of Babalooie, isn’t this a pretty picture>

mother ship and landing module.jpg

By the way, that island in the background is where Lulu rowed to during her outing. It’s a lot further away than it looks.

As I’ve written before, we met a lot of great folks at Santispac. Three of the nicest were Caleb, Gordon & Lucy. Wanting to repay their kindnesses at least a little, Lulu decided to make hatbands for Caleb and Gordon and she taught Lucy how to make Peruvian friendship bracelets.

Caleb and his hatband.jpg

Caleb and his hatband on his genuine Panama hat.

Gordon & his hatband.jpg

Gordon and his new hatband.

In other food news, we tried a couple of new pizza toppings. The first was Lulu’s idea that I expanded on. She suggested a pizza with bacon and scrambled eggs on it. That sounded interesting so I suggested we go the whole route and make some fried potatoes and onions for the topping as well. So, a thin layer of olive oil was topped with a thinnish layer of potatoes (very small cubes) and onions that had already been fried to just about done. Then some cooked bacon pieces were strewn around a then a layer of shredded white cheddar to hold things together. Cooked that until it was just about done and then added scrambled eggs and a little more cheese and popped it back in the oven for another 5 minutes. It was actually very good. Our “breakfast for dinner pizza”:

breakfast for dinner pizza.jpg

Since our pizzas always come in threes, what did we do with the other two? Well, for the second pizza I had the bright idea of spreading a layer of refried beans on the crust followed by a layer of cooked chorizo and onions and then a layer of shredded cheese. Once the pizza was cooked, I spread what I thought was a thin layer of sour cream and then a little salsa on top. Well, that turned out to be a bad idea. The sour cream completely liquified due to the heat from the pizza. The whole thing was rendered un-pick-up-able and had to be eaten with a fork. But that wasn’t the worst part. When I was cutting the pie into eighths, the knife slipped and the wide blade came down sideways on top of the pizza throwing a layer of liquid sour cream and salsa all over the front of the stove and all over the from of my shirt as well. To say I was disgruntled would be to completely understate the situation. Good thing the pizza tasted good because that was definitely the only thing in its favor.

The third pizza of the trio was much more successful. Lulu said, “What are we going to have for dinner tonight?” to which I replied, “Well, we still have enough dough for one more pizza.” She then said, well, we’re going to have to go to the store and get something to top it with then. It was already late afternoon and neither one of us really wanted to go to the store. I said, “We have bacon and olives and mushrooms.” We decided to see what we could do. So we raided the cupboards and ended up with a pizza topped with bacon, black olives, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, fried onions, and smoked oysters. We declared this one a keeper for sure, not the least reason being that we usually have all that stuff on hand.

Once we got word of a couple days of mild weather, we upped anchor and headed back to Santa Rosalia with a stop at Punta Chivato along the way. The water was pretty flat, especially on the second day. Lulu spent the time making a holster for our windlass handle (the handle is that long piece of metal on the table, the one with a black end cap on it).

Lulu busy underway.jpg

While I took care of topside duties.

what are you lookin' at?.jpg

To the untrained eye, I appear to not be doing anything. But in reality I’m keeping a watchful eye on the weather, the GPS, the autopilot, the engine gauges, the wind indicator, the horizon, etc. Of course, the rest of the time I’m reading my Kindle.

So here we are again in Santa Rosalia. We’re stocking up on supplies, getting some internetting done, getting a few boat chores done and watching the weather for our first chance to head back out. The north wind has begun to blow again and that’s caused the temperature to drop. Brrrr. Right now it’s expected to blow hard tomorrow and Monday. Wednesday had looked like it might be a good time to go although that’s changed since yesterday. Guess we’ll just wait and see, just like always.


About sryoder

Steve & Lulu... retired. Had enough of the cold wet dreary fall/winter/spring in the Pacific Northwest. Bought a boat, fixed it up, sold our home and sailed to Mexico in November, 2010. Been here ever since except for occasional forays to the States (summer only, thank you) to visit the kids, parents and siblings. If you're looking for a sailing blog, this is the wrong place. This is a traveling, hunkering in, eating blog. Sailing is just how we get from place to place when we can't walk.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to 3/9/2013 – Time for a Heinz 57 post

  1. Tate says:

    Big congrats on the green cards. And Steve, I have to say… That is one mackin’ beard you got going there.

    • Steve Yoder says:

      Thanks Tate. First time I was ever complimented on my beard, I was on a Washington state ferry between Port Townsend and Kingston and there was this Hindu dude with a pretty damn nice beard. He complimented me on mine. I was humbled and proud all at the same time. A “mackin’ beard”, eh? Makes all those mornings that I didn’t drag a razor across my face worthwhile. Thanks, dude!

  2. Sandy Holeman says:

    Tell Lulu I love the seat cushion covers she made!! AND I so admire her ability to row Babalooie so far! I want to be her when I grow up!!

  3. David F. says:

    Steve what kind of braid is that on your boom cradle and where can I find directions as to how to weave it? Sorry to go so far back in the blog but I had to find a picture with it.

    David F.

  4. sryoder says:

    The pattern that twists around the upright is simply a half hitch tied over and over and over again, sometimes called a French Spiral Twist.. Then, it’s topped off with a turk’s head. The half hitch is just something I know from back in my macrame plant hanger days. The turk’s head I learned form one of my many knot-tying books. But you might try:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5qocr-pIQo (a pretty good video of the process)
    http://www.marinews.com/bait-presentation/french-whipping/532/ (this also shows it really well).

    The Turk’s Head is tougher.
    This is a pretty good video although you have to tie it around the stanchion instead of your hand:

    Just takes practice. Good luck.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s