Our original plan when we left Punta Chivato yesterday was to go to Bahia Santo Domingo on the inside of Punta Concepcion and then wait until this morning to make an early morning run to Punta Pulpito. But one of the things we really like about this cruising thing, at least the way we’re doing it, is the ease with which we can change our plans. As long as we’re somewhere safe and comfortable, but mostly safe, nothing else really matters all that much. As we approached the entry to Bahia Concepcion, the wind started to pick up and the seas started to build a bit. Not a lot but enough to make it a little less than perfectly comfortable. Having heard that today was supposed to be a bit windier than yesterday, and that the winds were primarily going to be from the S and SE, Santo Domingo might not be the most pleasant place to be. So, we altered course and continued on down to Santispac where we arrived at about 1430.
We were amazed when we rounded the corner to the anchorage to see no less than 13 boats anchored. What a difference 10 days makes. When we left here, there were only about 3 boats. But, we managed to find a spot and dropped the hook.
We had a pleasant night although we both dodged a bullet. We’d gone ashore to visit Gordon and Lucy. Gordon’s drink rule says that anytime the temperature is above 80, it’s gin and tonic time. Well, the temperature was pushing 90. We sat and visited and had a couple of G&Ts which Gordon mixes pretty strong. When we got back to the boat, we had dinner washed down with a beer. Then we started watching a show on the computer only to fall fast asleep. We’d obviously had a wee bit too much to drink. We managed to chug a liter of agua mineral each before bed and miraculously awoke unscathed.
After listening to today’s weather forecast, we’ve amended our plans a bit. The winds are predicted to be moderate during the day and coming from the S-SE. Tomorrow is supposed to be about the same and then they’re predicted to increase some long about Tuesday or Wednesday. With south winds, Punta Pulpito, which is wide open to the south, is no longer a viable anchorage. There aren’t a lot of hidey holes between Punta Concepcion and Caleta San Juanico, so we’ve decided to just go all the way in one run. I just finished plotting the route into the chart plotter and it looks like, anchor-to-anchor is a bit over 58 miles. Using 4.5 knots as an average speed, we’ll need about 13 hours to make the trip. We don’t like to enter an unfamiliar anchorage at night so we have to plan for a daytime arrival. With the wind coming from where we’re going, it’s going to be a motorboat trip. Seems like the winds have a tendency to die off at night so, we’re going to leave here at about 1800 this evening with plans to arrive at San Juanico at about 0700 tomorrow. If our average speed is lower than 4.5 knots, all the better as we’ll get there well after sunrise. If we go faster, not too much of an issue as it’s light by about 0600 or so. And, we can always slow down if necessary.
So, today’s job list consists of: take the garbage ashore, check the engine fluids, secure the stuff belowdecks, reload the dinghy onboard, and take a nap. Hope we have the fortitude to get it all done.