4/9/2013 – Bahia Cobre and my favorite kind of fishing

So far it looks like we picked the right spot. Last night the wind kicked up from out of the west and pretty darn strong at times. While we got plenty of wind, we slept like babies on smooth water as there was absolutely no room for the seas to build between us and the shore. Reports from around Baja on the Sonrisa Net this morning were that not everyone was so lucky. One guy reported losing his 8′ PortaBote with the outboard attached at San Evaristo where he reported “the worst night (he’s) ever had in Baja!” due to the winds and apparently rolly seas.

This evening, it’s apparent that the wind and waves are moving around to the N-NW just like predicted. We may have a little bit of a rolly night but tomorrow, when we move down to Bahia Salinas, we should be good again.

There’s a very small fishing camp here at Bahia Cobre consisting of 4 guys, a couple tents and a panga. We wave whenever they pass but that’s been about it for interaction. They leave early in the morning, come back mid-day for a siesta and then take off again until just before dark. Today, a different panga came in with just two guys aboard. We exchanged waves as they sped by. They went up to the fish camp, appeared to talk a little and then left. And came right alongside Siempre Sabado. With no English on their part and piss-poor Spanish on my part we finally managed to get things figured out. Seems the starting battery for their big outboard was too dead to start the motor again so they had to keep it running. Wondered if I could charge it for them. I was running the generator anyway as we’d fallen a little behind in our stored amp-hours, so, if I could figure out how to connect his battery to my charger it should be no problem. However, until theirs was charged, they were dead in the water. We finally decided that I’d loan them my starting battery and charge theirs while they were gone. I told him we were leaving for Bahia Salinas tomorrow between 10:00 and 11:00. He said they’d be back by 9:00. Then he thought better of it and said he’d be back this afternoon at 4:00. Even better and should leave plenty of time for charging. So we made the exchange, they sped off and I put their battery on the charger.

Of course, 4:00 came and went as did 4:30. No sign of our amigos. Then we got to worrying. I think my battery was in pretty good shape but, since it’s always backed up by the house bank if needed, I didn’t really KNOW what condition it was in. These guys operate without a safety net of any kind. What if they got out to the fishing grounds and, when they went to start the motor the battery was kaput? They’d be pretty royally screwed. But, nah, that probably didn’t happen. Right?

Finally, about 6:30, after we had finished dinner and I was just sitting down to write this blog, here they come. We exchanged batteries, we gave them a couple cold beers and crossed our fingers while they tried to start their motor. VROOM! Stared right up. We exchanged thumbs up and they sped off to fish another day.

Oh, and about my favorite kind of fishing. After we had exchanged batteries they asked if we’d like some fish. Si, Si, como no? They filled my Home Depot bucket with three beautiful Cabrilla. Muchas gracias! That’s my kind of fishing. No bait, no lures, no snags, no snarls, no incessant waits, no patience needed. It’s even easier than getting the fish at the mercado. Of course, once we had the fish I had to clean and filet them. I kind of sort of know what I’m doing but there’s an awful lot of wasted motion and, at least on the first fish, more wasted meat than I care to admit. Sharper, better knives would help but there’s just no getting around the fact that cleaning fish in the cockpit is a messy, slimy, bloody, slippery, stinky mess. And then there’s the clean-up afterwards. OK, maybe this is my second favorite kind of fishing.


About sryoder

Steve & Lulu... retired. Had enough of the cold wet dreary fall/winter/spring in the Pacific Northwest. Bought a boat, fixed it up, sold our home and sailed to Mexico in November, 2010. Been here ever since except for occasional forays to the States (summer only, thank you) to visit the kids, parents and siblings. If you're looking for a sailing blog, this is the wrong place. This is a traveling, hunkering in, eating blog. Sailing is just how we get from place to place when we can't walk.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to 4/9/2013 – Bahia Cobre and my favorite kind of fishing

  1. Jay says:

    Steve, I clean and fillet my fish in my hard dinghy. It is much easier to clean out than the cockpit. That was very nice of you to loan your battery, and I am sure it will do much to improve the Gringo reputation down here> Kudos!

  2. Ken says:

    I developed a better way to fish! When we lived aboard in Ingleside, Texas a guy living aboard behind us was a real fisherman. He fished every day. Even with thunderstorms with lightening crashing Paul was out fishing. I would see him come in and fire up the grill on the grounds. So timing just right I would go for my evening walk, accidentally timing it just as Paul was opening up the grill. He liked to visit and would holler for me to come eat a piece of fish. Sure was good and the paper plate went into the trash barrel. No fuss no muss. Worked every time! I sure miss those days.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s