Yesterday afternoon, after filling the water tank and solar showers, doing a last load of laundry, and replacing yesterday’s cerveza and agua mineral, we hoisted the anchor and headed out to make the 7 mile trip to Ensenada Blanca, also known as Candeleros. With a little bit of a headwind but apparently a fairly strong tidal current against us, the trip took an unprecedented 2.5 hours. We were fortunate when we hauled the anchor up this time that we didn’t harvest the huge load of sea grass algae that plagued us last time we left Puerto Escondido. Of course, maybe that’s because we got it all last time. Certainly felt like we left none behind.
LoretoFest is starting this Thursday so there’s a steady flow of boats into Puerto Escondido. Not being particularly fond of Fests, other than music fests (seen one you’ve seen them all), we chose to go the other way. The anchorages on the path between La Paz and Puerto Escondido are crowded right now with boats headed to PE. Ensenada Blanca was no exception with 16 other boats anchored here when we arrived. Of course that number pales in comparison to the 23-24 boats anchored here during the fondly-remembered “Talk Like A Pirate Party” weekend back in September, 2011, or, as we like to call it: “The Golden Age of Ensenada Blanca”. I expect a number of these boats to be leaving today but others may arrive. By Thursday the anchorages between here and La Paz should be back down to just a few boats in each.
Right now the weather guys are calling for a one-day wind event on Thursday. From the far northern Sea to almost Puerto Escondido, Gary on Sonrisa Net is calling for north winds up to 30 knots. Where we are should be “moderate” but that doesn’t mean we won’t be affected by the swell that will probably be generated by the big winds north of us. This anchorage, being wide open to the north, could get uncomfortable if the swells are of any size at all. With that in mind, we may head out of here tomorrow to find northern protection. From here we could have an easy passage to either the south end of Isla Monserrate or Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante. The anchorage on Monserrate doesn’t look too good for NW winds but Honeymoon Cove is backtracking so, as of right now, I’m not sure what we’re going to do. Guess we’ll wait until tomorrow to get another weather report and decide then.
Summer is definitely arriving. The water temperature is still well below my 80 degree threshold for full body immersion but it’s rising every day. Yesterday was quite warm. Felt really good when the sun went down, mostly as a relief from the glare. Had quite a few bothersome bobos but they went away not long after sunset. We had a really nice W-WSW wind off and on throughout the night. Kept a sweet cooling breeze blowing down on top of us through the forward hatch. Made for a very comfortable night.
Today’s chores include rowing ashore to see what’s available at the tienda, making a pot of beans, rowing around the anchorage to see who’s here, and, uh, there must be something else but damned if I can think of what it is. Oh well. Oh yeah! I need to make some breakfast sausage, write a blog entry and post our new position report. Looks like I get to check 2 things off the list already. Hoot, mon, have a care!
(posted via Sailmail)