Man! We had a seriously slow trip coming down from Timbabiche yesterday. And, considering that it was the longest leg we’ve had to make since we left Bahia Concepcion back in March, it made it seem even longer than it really was. We averaged slightly over 3 knots which, if we’d been purely sailing in light winds, might not have seemed too bad. But we were motoring. Things weren’t too bad until we entered the San Jose Channel between Isla San Jose and the Baja mainland. Up until then it was mostly our dirty bottom that was slowing us down, or so I assume. But, once we entered the channel, the wind increased due to the slot effect. We were getting as high as 15 knots directly on the nose. This, of course, kicked up the seas so that we were getting 2-3 foot seas, very close together, also directly on the nose. And, I suspect that we were also pushing against a tidal current. Fortunately, the weather was warm and, other than slow and bouncy, the trip went okay.
Once we finally reached San Evaristo and made our last turn to enter the harbor, we were a little disappointed to find 6 or 7 boats already there. That’s not that many boats for San Evaristo except that they were all in the main harbor and spread out quite a bit. The forward visibility from our cockpit is not very good when driving the boat through a crowded anchorage. Worse, though, was the fact that the swell we had been fighting all day was entering the anchorage pretty much unabated. It didn’t look like there was really anywhere to get away from it. Add the wind ripping through the bay and it looked like anchoring was going to be anything but a pleasant experience. Plus, who wants to put up with all that rolling?
Fortunately, there’s an alternate anchorage around the north side of the peninsula that forms the north side of San Evaristo Bay. We’d seen 2 boats already anchored there when we went by and I debated with myself about going there instead as we passed. But, on the chart, it looked like there might be a couple spots in San Evaristo that would be somewhat protected from the SE swell. There might be but we’ll have to wait for a calmer day to explore that avenue. Anyway, I took a look at all the boats and the swell and did a quick about face and headed around Punta San Evaristo to the protected-from-the-south north side. We anchored in 25′ on 125′ of chain in nice flat water. We still got some wind coming over the top of the hills but no swell at all.
This morning it’s flat calm as it’s been all night. Haven’t listened to the weather yet but yesterday they were predicting about 3 days of the same conditions as yesterday so I believe we’ll just stay put today. We can walk to the tienda at San Evaristo from here if we need anything but right now, we really don’t need anything. So, I think we’ll mostly just enjoy a nice flat, going-nowhere day.
Oh, btw, on Mother’s Day we were anchored at Timbabiche. Our old amigo Manuel showed up as expected and we bought a couple of nice lobsters for Mother’s Day dinner. Manuel charges 100 pesos per kilo for the lobsters. However, since we are “such good friends” he only charged us 90 pesos per kilo. However, we bought 2 lobsters which he estimated to weigh 1 kilo each. They probably didn’t weigh that much but, meh. So, 2 kilos at 90 pesos each is 180 pesos, right? However, all I had was a 200 peso bill and Manuel, predictably, had no change. So, we ended up paying the regular price, pretty much as expected. However, I don’t begrudge Manuel a few extra pesos here and there. The guy is 68 years old and has to work harder every day than I’ve ever had to work and he’s certainly not getting rich doing it, so more power (or pesos) to him.