Yesterday was beautiful! Not wanting to leave Playa Bonanza without going ashore, we decided to stay another day. Around 11:00 we dinghied ashore and took a walk along the beach. This is a picture-perfect beach. When you see the photos when we’re back in the internet zone you’ll understand. The beach is a good 3 miles long. Lots of shells to catch Lulu’s attention. Way down at the south end there’s a rocky section crawling with Sally Lightfoot crabs. Got some good photos of them too. It was a nice walk but I tell ya, by the time we got back to the dink we were pooped! Hot and pooped!
Lazed the rest of the afternoon away. However, about 4:30 or so, we started getting swells in from the east, our unprotected side. Not much wind accompanying the swells. By 5:30 I was beginning to give some thought to hightailing it out of there for the other side of the island. But I knew we wouldn’t get there until after dark and I didn’t really want to go in and anchor in the dark so we just sat tight. As the evening progressed the ride got wilder and wilder. Lulu managed to make dinner in spite of the ups and downs although I gave her a bunch of chances to opt out. During the time that the light east wind was accompanying the swells it was bad enough. But later, the wind died but the swells didn’t. This left us wallowing around, occasionally with the swells beam on causing a very uncomfortable side to side roll. While we were watching shows, we kept hearing a thump topside. I went out to find the dinghy banging around. I had it on deck but raised a little to act as a windscoop for the forward hatch. Guess I didn’t have it secured well enough because it would dance around during certain rolls. Since I had to work in the dark, I just closed the hatch, lowered the dink and tied her down good and proper. Of course, that made the v-berth a little warm but we had our fans if it got too bad (it didn’t). It was so rolly that we opted to skip our nightcap for fear the rum would just slosh out of the shot glass. Sometime in the pre-dawn hours (I think), the wind shifted to the west. By the time I got up we were getting swells from shore and a west wind. I downloaded the weather and then got Lulu up and we pulled the anchor and got underway. There were 6 boats at anchor at Playa Bonanza and, amazingly, no one left until morning.
By the time we were underway, the wind had dropped to zilch. We motored along the east side of Islas Espiritu Santo and Partida. For about a half hour I was able to roll the jib out and get about an 0.8 knot boost. But that wind died down leaving not even a hint behind.
Both weather forecasts said pretty much the same thing: W-NW winds 0-5 knots during the day, W-NW winds 10-15 knots at night. Based on that, we decided to anchor on the east side of Isla San Francisco. However, as we neared the anchorage, the wind piped up a bit and it was coming from the EAST! WTF! Changed course and went over to our usual Isla SF anchorage on the west side. Once we got there, I had second thoughts and we turned around and went back to the east side. But, once we got just off the anchorage over there, the obvious east winds made me decide to go back to the other side again. Geez! RVing is SO much easier than this! If we really do get winds from the W and NW tonight, we’ll be wide open to winds and swells as that side is completely open to the west. But, at least we’ll have company in our misery. Last time I looked, there are a total of 6 sailboats and 5 powerboats (a couple of which are huge) anchored here with us. We’ll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. We could use a nice flat sleep tonight.
Not sure what tomorrow holds. Guess it depends a little on what the weather decides to do.