Got up early today, had breakfast and was at the boat by shortly after 8:00. Today’s job: hang ribbon LEDs in the quarter berth (aka “the garage”) so it’s easier to see all the crap we have stored back there. Maybe I’d do a little inventory and cleaning up while I was at it.
Obviously, before I could do any work in the garage, I had to empty it out. This is when I’m glad that I’m here on my own and Lulu’s up in Oregon being a grandma to these two:
If she was at the boat, she’d have to deal with this:
All that garage stuff has to go somewhere while I’m working. The first surprise I ran into was the elusive gallon jug of propylene glycol that we’d bought for pickling the watermaker. I managed to get it done with just one gallon after we couldn’t find the second one and convinced ourselves that maybe we hadn’t really bought it after all. Well, we did and it was crunched under stuff way at the back with a tiny hole in it’s bottom. Not having a vent hole, it didn’t leak very much, thankfully. The next surprise was this:
The bottom of the can of Teak Oil had rusted and developed some holes. Fortunately, there wasn’t much in the can when we stowed it. This actually came up pretty easily with a putty knife followed by some al-purpose kitchen cleaner spray. Once I got this all cleaned up I could actually get on with the job of hanging and wiring the ribbon LEDs. These come on a long strip about 16 feet long. One end has bare wires and the other end has some kind of plug. The strip is marked so that you can cut it after each individual LED module. Each module is about 1.5″ long. I started with the bare wires and ran a continuous strip around the top of the three walls of the quarter berth. It’s really easy to hang the strip because it has an adhesive back. Good thing because if you tried to use a staple or something you’d surely short things out. I hope the adhesive is good. Once I got to the end, I snipped the ribbon at the mark. I still had a good 5′ piece so I decided to put it under the shelf behind the sink & stove.
These could be wired directly to a switch but I opted for dimmers in both these locations. The quarter berth didn’t really need the dimmer but it’s what I had so I used it. The under-shelf light however, will be great with a dimmer. We like to have a little bit of light on when we’re watching our shows and this will be perfect. Set it as dim as we want and have hardly any amp-draw.
The before and after pictures of the under-shelf installation aren’t very dramatic since it was bright daylight when I snapped the photo, but here you go anyway.
That white thing behind the egg beater is the side of a fluorescent fixture lit up by the LED ribbon.
The garage, however, is much more dramatic:
Oh, this is going to make life much easier. I still have three more ribbons. Wonder where I should install them. Engine Room? That’d be sweet. Where else? Suggestions?
Besides the leaking jugs, I didn’t throw too much away. I did make Jimmy (the local guy who helped me with the Frenchman’s boat) pretty happy when I gave him an ultralightweight fishing rod and reel and a gaff hook that I’d overlooked when we were purging the boat of fishing gear. That stuff could have bitten us if it’d been found during some kind of inspection since our fishing licenses have expired and we have no plans to renew them. In Mexico, if there’s fishing gear on the boat, any fishing gear, everyone on board is required to have a current fishing license. Also gave Jimmy 2 pairs of flippers that we bought and both hated. They’re way too long for the kind of casual snorkeling we do. Might be OK if we were scuba diving but we’re not.
Tomorrow’s job is the big one: relocate the stereo and free up a bunch of shelf space as a result. This one could take me more than a day.