5/18/2014 – One more day should do it.

Yesterday was kind of a poopy one but today was better.  It’s not that anything went wrong yesterday, it just didn’t go like I’d planned.  You’d think I’d be used to that by now.  But, hey, I’m the guy who still whacks his head on the boom after living on Siempre Sabado for 5 years!  Whacked it three times today in fairly close succession.  The last time I did it, I was even thinking “Watch out for the boom” at the time!  You can bet that that one warranted an expletive.  Clearly, learning is not my strongest suit.

Anyway, the plan yesterday was to unhook Flipper from her umbilicals and drive her down to Marina Seca to offload some stuff from her to Siempre Sabado and from Siempre Sabado to Flipper.  How long could that take?  What, like 15-20 minutes?  Half hour tops?  Well, the actual moving of things from one home to the other actually did only take about 15-20 minutes.  But, it’s what led up to the transfer and what followed that threw the whole day out of whack.

Our plan was to leave NO food on the boat this time.  After all, we may not be back for a year, maybe longer.  No food.  So, while still at the marina, I set aside some of the stuff on board that we would likely use in the camper and had the stowage space for as well.  This filled half of one of our three food lockers.  All the rest I bagged up and gave to the orphanage.  Don’t know if the kids will appreciate the pickled carrots and artichoke hearts but there was also corn, green beans, kidney beans, etc.  I decided to use some of our old canvas Safeway bags to transport the food since we could use a few bags in Flipper.  The locker that holds various bags is behind the stove and some things have to be moved before the lid can be opened.  Things like sugar and flour, and rice and… wait a minute!  Sugar and flour and rice are food, too!  Yikes, now I have another whole bunch of stuff to move or toss.  And, right next to the space that has the sugar and such in it is another space, no, two spaces, filled with sauces and spices and vinegar, and oil and so on and so forth.  I guess they count as food, too.   Geez, this was going to be so easy before.  Well, no sense whining about it I guess.  Might as well just get busy.

I didn’t think the orphanage would want opened containers so, pretty much everything that I wasn’t going to keep had to get trashed.  It wasn’t very much of any one thing so I guess it wasn’t too much of a waste.  But, what do you do with 1/2 bottle of soy sauce when you know there’s soy sauce in the camper?  Or two opened bottles of worcestershire sauce, both with some out of them?  Two different brands of liquid smoke, neither having ever been opened?  Some kind of tamarind sauce that I don’t think has ever been opened and that I can’t really remember where we got it or why?  In the end, I tossed almost all the solid stuff (flour, sugar, yeast, rice, etc.) but took all the liquid stuff back to Flipper.  This was mainly because our sink drain empties right out onto the concrete deck of the boatyard.  Wouldn’t do to dump brown sauces and vinegar and oil and such on the deck.  Yeah, I could have used a bucket and then tossed the contents down the toilet (the marina toilet, not the one on the boat), but this way I was able to postpone any decisions just a little longer.

In the end, I had half a camper full of stuff when I got through.  But it doesn’t stop there.  As long as I was oot and aboot with the camper, I might as well stop at the supermarket and pick up a few things to take back north.   Things that were too heavy to carry on my back except piecemeal.  Things like a 12-pack of Topo Chico agua mineral, the absolute best carbonated water we’ve ever had.  Also things like a couple fifths of tequila.  And I can always use some more beer.  And, they have a promotion going on now that throws in one liter container of Safeway (?) brand Coctel de Tomate y Almeja, basically Clamato juice, with every 12 pack of Tecate.  And I got three 12 packs.  And I’m really liking the peach nectar and maybe I’ll try some of the grape juice as well, and I need some eggs and a couple bottles of salsa and maybe some water and a pineapple.  By the time I got done at Ley’s, the floor of the camper was completely full with no room to even plant a foot.

Once I got back to the RV park, the fun began.  All this stuff had to go somewhere.  It was quite the afternoon of rearranging, consolidating, tossing, and rearranging again.  A couple hours after I started, I was finally done.  Done with the stowing anyway.  Forgot to mention that the containers that used to hold all the stuff I tossed had to be washed and dried before they could be stowed away on the boat.  That took awhile.

That's a lot of dirty dishes!

That’s a lot of dirty dishes!

But, in the end, everything got done.

So now we arrive at today.  The first thing on my agenda was to climb the mast and get that main halyard messenger rove (roved? riven? reeved?) over the sheave at the masthead.  I had two excellent ideas given to me.  Lulu suggested these long pipe cleaners for crafters that were on board.  Alan from s/v Vivacia (I assume it was Alan but it could have been Elizabeth – the comment wasn’t signed) suggested a long zip tie.  What I needed was something long enough, stiff enough, but flexible enough to feed through a non-straight channel.  Here were my candidates:

double pipe cleaner (top) and an 18-20" zip tie (bottom)

double pipe cleaner (top) and an 18-20″ zip tie (bottom)

I stuffed both in my pocket but not before attaching a piece of nylon line (the messenger) through the eye on the zip-tie.  It was a tight fit and best done on the ground where I had access to tools.

Up the mast I went.  Once there, I started to feed the zip-tie through, across the top of both sheaves.  Before I could think to say “Bob’s your uncle”, it emerged out the other side.  I pulled it down, making sure it was in the sheave and not alongside.  Then we all went back down the mast.  I tied it off, hung a label on it, erased the warning on the halyard tag, and said, “Whew! I don’t have to go back up there for at least a year and then at least it won’t be to reeve a halyard.”

Besides that momentous job, I cleaned and waxed the parts of the windvane that Lulu couldn’t reach from the deck, set up a siphon to drain our water tank, and stowed everything on deck either in the engine room or in the cockpit footwell.

She's looking pretty bare.

She’s looking pretty bare.

And then I called it a day.  It was mightily hot today.  I’d completely soaked through my t-shirt by the time I’d been at the boat an hour.  Headed back to Totanaka RV Park for a cold beer and a cool shower. I feel much better now.

Tomorrow should be the last yard day.  All I need to do is secure the siphon hose, disconnect the shore power, straighten things out in the cabin so it at least doesn’t look so disorganized, and rig the tarps.  Then I’ll let the office know I’m ready to be moved to storage and that’ll be it.  Until we get back.  There’s a pile of stuff to do then, including things I was going to do this time but decided to wait because I’m ready to head north.



About sryoder

Steve & Lulu... retired. Had enough of the cold wet dreary fall/winter/spring in the Pacific Northwest. Bought a boat, fixed it up, sold our home and sailed to Mexico in November, 2010. Been here ever since except for occasional forays to the States (summer only, thank you) to visit the kids, parents and siblings. If you're looking for a sailing blog, this is the wrong place. This is a traveling, hunkering in, eating blog. Sailing is just how we get from place to place when we can't walk.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to 5/18/2014 – One more day should do it.

  1. wyndcutter says:

    Hi Lulu, Hi Steve!  Just a note to let you know that we safely arrived in the South Pacific!  Our passage was pretty easy except for the last three days where the weather turned gale force and seas were rough…not having a main sail (we tore it early on) made it difficult and at one point the roller furling got stuck and we could not lower our head sail! Repairing the main before we leave and ordered a new sail to be delivered to Papeete, Tahiti where we hope to be for the tahitian fest on July 2nd.  We are relaxing on the island of Nuka Hiva (Taiohae Bay) which is absolutely amazing!   We will be off again  in a week or so to explore more islands on the way to Tahiti!  We plan to visit Oregon around August or September but not for sure yet (depends if we can find a safe place for Wind Cutter).  Think of you often and love hearing your updates! I need to blog soon lol.. So nice to sit back and enjoy this lovely tropical setting.  Stay in touch (we don’t have wify on the boat but will check email when we find it! Heard none until Tahiti)!  xo Carol and Craig

    • sryoder says:

      So glad to hear you’ve arrived safe and sound and with only minor breakage and not too terrible much discomfort. At least you were on a comfortable boat. Enjoy the fabled South Seas and I’ll be watching for a blog update.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s